Some of you may know I have called it quits. To "call it quits" means to stop doing something or to stop working. I have decided to stop all my TV shows and political columns except my column in Headline Daily. When reporters asked me why I have decided to call it quits, I told them I was burnt-out (also burned-out). The expression used this way means very tired or exhausted from work. When reporters asked if I have called it quits for political reasons, I just said Hong Kong has changed and people must also change to avoid new red lines.
My main reason for calling it quits is because I am truly burnt-out from so many columns and TV shows every week. I want a long rest before deciding on my next move. After I told my TV and newspaper bosses I have decided to call it quits, I spent an exhilarating (very happy, excited) Saturday hiking in the Aberdeen country park. I used to go there often many years ago but have stopped because of too much work. During my walk, I even saw two wild pigs! Last week, I hiked up Duckling Hill, which is near my Tseung Kwan O home. I used to get up at 6.30 in the morning daily. Now I have turned off my alarm.
In the evenings I experiment with cooking and watch Netflix. I am now watching Designated Survivor, a political thriller, which means a book or movie with an exciting storyline. It is about a low-level White House cabinet member who became president after the president and all other politicians were killed by a terrorist bomb. The word "booyah" was used several times in one episode I watched. This is an American slang word which is used to show you are very happy about something, such as a victory or an achievement. White House officials in Designated Survivor used "booyah" to celebrate a good speech by the unelected president.
你們有些人或許知悉，我已經called it quits。To“call it quits”意思是停止做某事、不幹了、就此打住。我決定停止我所有的電視節目主持工作，以及政治專欄的寫作，除了我在《頭條日報》的這個專欄。當記者們問我為何決定不幹（call it quits）時，我跟他們說，我實在burnt-out（也可寫成burned-out），這個習語在這裏是指因為工作繁重而精疲力竭。記者們問我，可是因為政治原因而不再做下去（call it quits）？我只是說，香港已經變了，人也應該改變，以避免踩中新的紅線。
我停止工作（call it quits）的主要原因，是我每個星期做這麼多的專欄和電視節目，真的累壞了（burnt-out）。在決定下一步之前，我需要一個長時間的休息。在我告知我的電視和報章老闆我決定離職，不再工作（call it quits）以後，我去了香港仔郊野公園行山，度過了一個很振奮（exhilarating）的周六。許多年前我經常到那兒，但後來因為工作繁忙而沒有去了。遠足期間，我還看到兩隻野豬！上星期我走上鴨仔山，那小山很近我將軍澳的家。我過去習慣每早六時半便起牀，現在我已關掉了鬧鐘。
Michael Chugani 褚簡寧
又中又英——To“call it quits”.
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - Rainbows｜又中又英2022-09-29
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - Didn’t know one iota.｜又中又英2022-09-27
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - Straight from the horse’s mouth.｜又中又英2022-09-22
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - Lying-in-State｜又中又英2022-09-20
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - “who's who”｜又中又英2022-09-15
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - came within a whisker｜又中又英2022-09-13
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - give it up｜又中又英2022-09-08
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - charcuterie board｜又中又英2022-09-06
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - “one-trick pony”｜又中又英2022-08-30
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - red-eye flight｜又中又英2022-08-26
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - thrown a tantrum｜又中又英2022-08-23
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - movie buffs｜又中又英2022-08-19
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - To pony up｜又中又英2022-08-16
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - kitchen-table issues｜又中又英2022-08-11
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - traumatized beyond words｜又中又英2022-08-04
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - doze off.｜又中又英2022-08-02
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - To take a stand｜又中又英2022-07-28
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - a drag queen｜又中又英2022-07-26
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - “chew someone out”｜又中又英2022-07-21
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - to rise to the occasion.｜又中又英2022-07-19
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - “nickel-and-dime”｜又中又英2022-07-14
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - To turn on a dime.｜又中又英2022-07-12
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - like there is no tomorrow.｜又中又英2022-07-07
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - to know something like the back of your hand｜又中又英2022-07-05
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - wrap my head around｜又中又英2022-06-30
- Michael Chugani 褚簡寧 - don’t count your chickens before they are hatched.｜又中又英2022-06-28