Some years ago I wrote that beer is not my thing. The slang expression "not my thing" means it's not something I enjoy or am interested in. I don't enjoy beer. Martinis are my thing, which means I enjoy martinis. Recently I invited my younger brother and his wife to dinner at a restaurant overlooking a river in Wilmington, Delaware. The restaurant, which has outdoor seating on two levels, is called Iron Hill Brewery. A brewery can mean a company that makes beer or a place where beer is made. My younger brother likes beer. The Iron Hill Brewery is a restaurant combined with a brewery.
My brother asked the waitress about the types of beer the restaurant brews and chose a beer flight with four different types of beer. The expression "beer flight" is used to describe four to six small glasses of different types of beer served on a wooden board called a paddle.
It's a good way to sample different types of beer. Beer drinkers usually start with the light-coloured beers on the paddle and then drink darker ones. I don't think I've ever seen anyone drink a beer flight in Hong Kong. You can see the beer flight my brother had by going to the Popnews online version of this column.
I had a martini and my sister-in-law had red wine. After enjoying the river view for a while, we ordered dinner. My brother had schnitzel and chose fries instead of mashed sweet potatoes. Schnitzel is a thin slice of meat, usually veal or pork covered with breadcrumbs then fried. It is a German dish. His came with pieces of sausage and bacon covered with onion gravy. It's a perfect dish to have with a beer flight. His wife chose a large meat and cheese sandwich with fries. I had scallops with creamed rice cooked with peas and leeks. The bill was less than HK$650. I couldn't believe how inexpensive the dinner was!
幾年前我寫過啤酒is not my thing——俚語 "not my thing" 即它不是你杯茶，你不大享受或喜歡它。我不享受喝啤酒。馬天尼則是my thing，即我喜愛喝馬天尼。最近我邀請了弟弟和他太太，到特拉瓦州威明頓一間能眺望河川景色的餐廳共進晚膳。那間餐廳名叫鐵山啤酒廠（Brewery），有兩層戶外露天座位。A brewery可以是指會釀造啤酒的公司又或啤酒廠。我弟弟很愛喝啤酒。鐵山啤酒廠（Brewery）就是附設釀造啤酒廠（brewery）的餐廳。
我弟弟問女侍應他們餐廳釀製（brews）啤酒有哪些種類，最後選了一套beer flight，有四款不同的啤酒。習語 "beer flight" 是啤酒品嚐套餐，在一塊名paddle的木槳托盤上放四至六小杯不同種類的啤酒，是個可以一次過品嚐不同啤酒的方法。喝啤酒的人通常會由木槳托盤（paddle）上較淺色的啤酒開始，再陸續喝較深色的。我不認為我見過有人在香港喝啤酒拼盤（beer flight）。你可以在Popnews這個專欄的網上版那裏，看到我弟弟喝的啤酒拼盤（beer flight）。
Michael Chugani 褚簡寧
又中又英——Not my thing
- 又中又英——“eyes playing tricks on me”2021-12-02
- 又中又英——A world of difference2021-11-25
- 又中又英——pricey Turkish restaurant2021-11-18
- 又中又英——distant relatives 2021-11-16
- 又中又英——A nutjob2021-11-11
- 又中又英——a sweet tooth2021-11-09
- 又中又英—— fluffernutter2021-11-04
- 又中又英——Night after night2021-11-02
- 又中又英——acquiring a taste2021-10-28
- 又中又英——hustle and bustle2021-10-26
- 又中又英——Not my thing2021-10-21
- 又中又英——When food is bite-sized...2021-10-19
- 又中又英——A Lean And Mean Company2021-10-12
- 又中又英——Something＂creates a buzz＂.2021-10-07
- 又中又英——To nod off 2021-10-05
- 又中又英——To ＂get a grip＂ on something.2021-09-30
- 又中又英——A chip off the old block2021-09-29
- 又中又英——Get Out Of My Face2021-09-23
- 又中又英——a pain in the neck2021-09-21
- 又中又英——Numb With Disbelief2021-09-16
- 又中又英——Nagging Feeling2021-09-14
- 又中又英——Took Off In A Big Way2021-09-09
- 又中又英——Over My Dead Body2021-09-07
- 又中又英——A happy-go-lucky person2021-09-02